Church of Pokrova in Labova (Polish Łabowa) – a village in Nowy Sącz County, Poland (formerly Lemkivshchyna) was built in 1789. It was built from stone with stone floor and tabernacle. In Nineteenth Century the church was painted with color oil paint by Zhygmunt Bogdanski in a Baroque style – scenes from the life of saints decorated with floral ornaments. By the middle of Twentieth Century the paint deteriorated and chipped off the walls.
In the summer of 1944 the church was repainted with fresco technique. The material used was cheese and yolk of eggs mixed with paint. The repainting was done by a group of artists led by Vasyl Hryhorovych Krychevsky. He was helped by Mykola Butovych, Leonid Perfetsky and Serhiy Lytvynenko. Krychevsky executed the ornaments while Butovych painted Saints Konstantyn, Olena, Volodymyr and Olha. Perfetsky painted “Jesus Christ in Gethsemane Garden” and “The Resurrection of Christ.” The help in painting the church was provided by at that time students Slava Silvestrov and Teodor Berezhnytski.
The above information and photographs were kindly provided by Yuriy Havryliuk (Jurij Hawryluk), historian, Poland.